Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Where NOT to raise you roll dough!


IN THE OVEN!!! For years I have used a cold oven as the place that I allow my dough to raise. It's the perfect environment, especially when you place a hot pan of water under the tray. Only once before have I ever accidentally turned the oven on by mistake... until NOW! This is the lovely result of what happens when too many cooks in the kitchen are trying to cook TOO many things at once!
On Sunday, while I was making rolls for dinner, Mark was making cookies for a family that he home teaches and without knowing, he turned on the bottom oven for the cookies and wham-0.. we got our first batch of Mickey Mouse Bread! Can you see the resemblance? Mark felt awful and was so sad seeing as how we all love homemade rolls on Sunday and we had made extra dough so that we could have cinnamon rolls for dessert. We were all sad, but no big loss, we made the best of it. THEN on Monday, my parents and grandparents came to stay for a few days while they were on their way to Florida. Deciding that I would make it up to Mark, I made another HUGE batch of roll dough so that we could have rolls and cinnamon rolls again on the menu. HOWEVER... this time I turned on the oven! Round TWO of Mickey Mouse Bread. This time was not nearly as funny as the first time. I was furious! How could this happen two days in a row? Well needless to say, I made a quick pan of brownies and we all feasted on the beautiful round loaves of bread and had a good laugh to go with our dinner! I hope that I will forever remember my lessons of the past few days and so help me if I bake another pan on Mickey Mouse Bread - I'll QUIT making rolls!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bread (aka rolls) was delicious, no matter what form;Mickey or no Mickey; but what made it especially fantastic was the homemade jam Wendy had made! Oh,yum,bring on the carbs!
The rest of the dinner was fabulous. Wish I could take credit for teaching her how to cook, but I can't. hanks for everything! Love Mom